Wednesday, June 22, 2011

$5

no Jimmy Johns yesterday (Tuesday) but I did have my iced coffee at Starbucks and read. I'm reading "Managing God's Money" by Randy Alcorn again.

Here's a non direct quote from the book:
"It takes time to hover over our things, and that time must come from elsewhere–time we might spend cultivating intimacy with God, time visiting the needy, etc. Every item I add to my possessions is one more thing to think about, talk about, clean, repair, display, rearrange, and replace when it goes bad. Acquiring a possession may also push me into redefining my priorities, making me unavailable for ministry. If I buy a boat, the problem isn't just the money. I must now justify my purchase by using the boat, which may mean frequent weekends away from church, making me unavailable to teach a Sunday school class, or work in the nursery, or lead a small group, or . . . fill in the blank. (Obviously, I'm not just talking about boats—substitute the material possessions you value most.)"

Colossians 3:5

New Living Translation (NLT)
 5 So put to death the sinful, earthly things lurking within you. Have nothing to do with sexual immorality, impurity, lust, and evil desires. Don’t be greedy, for a greedy person is an idolater, worshiping the things of this world.

No comments:

Post a Comment